I love chicken pot pies and I’ve made this Ina Garten recipe easier. Whats even better it makes two full pot pies!
One rotisserie chicken
3 Tablespoons olive oil
5 cups chicken broth
2 packets Herbox chicken
12 Tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks)
1 sweet onion
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup heavy cream
8oz frozen peas and carrots
salt + pepper to taste
celery seed, italian seasoning, dill
frozen rolled pie crust (2 crusts, usually one pack)
one egg and 1 Tablespoon water for egg wash.
1) Remove the chicken from the bones and set aside. Pull apart so there are small pieces. Preheat over to 375.
2) In a small saucepan heat the chicken broth over medium high heat and dissolve the herbox packets. While that is dissolving start melting the butter in a large pot or dutch oven and saute the onions over medium-low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until translucent.
3) Add the flour and cook over low heat, stirring constantly for about 2 minutes. Add the hot chicken broth to the large pot. Simmer over low heat for another minute stirring until thick. Add about 2 teaspoons salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and the heavy cream.
4) Add the frozen vegetables, chicken and spices, mix well. Adjust seasonings for your liking (the ones I like are listed above).
5) Roll out defrosted pie dough into your pie pan. The filling will make two full pies, pour half in the pie pan (I freeze half the filling for later). Roll out dough on top, crimping edges, brushing dough with egg wash and make around 3 slits on the top so air can get out.
6) Place in over for 1 hour or until the top is golden brown and filling is bubbling.