I’m excited to share a DIY project I worked on over Christmas and New Years…it did take that long. Not because it was complicated but it was involved. I had been looking for new valances since we moved in last December (before pics below) and never found any that I liked. So I decided to take a sewing class (if you are in New Jersey I highly recommend taking them here), find fabric that I loved and make my own.
This is the best video that I could find with simple instructions. I even sent it to my grandmother, a long time skilled sewer, and she approved saying she thought that was the best way to do them.
My boss actually told me about stitch witchery and dang, that was the BIGGEST help in piecing the fabric together. I like how they show you how to use it in this video. I also sewed a seam behind the stitch to make it more secure although some things I read online appeared that you don’t have to do that. I thought the fabric was heavy enough I should make it extra secure.
The real reason they took so long is that one of the windows is so large I needed 155 inches of fabric!
The fabric I used is from Stout in Dumont Marine.
These are the before pictures from the previous owners: