I’m really excited to share this recipe. It is really good and I’ve tweaked it a few times to make sure its amazing. (adapted from Center Cut Cooks recipe, read my recipe below). My version has a bit of a kick and I’m sure they will be a hit in your house! The key is to just sear the outside in the pan before baking. If you leave them on the stove top too long you’ll dry them out in the oven.
They are so easy – simply mix all the ingredients.
Then brown them in a pan, not cooking all the way through – then bake for 15 minutes in the oven.
Turkey Ricotta Meatballs
1 lb lean ground turkey
1/2 cup skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup dry italian breadcrumbs (or throw your favorite herbs into plain breadcrumbs)
1 large egg
1/4 cup fresh basil cut into thin slices
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2) Throw all of the ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Mix together with a spoon (or your hands) until all ingredients are mixed and there are no ricotta lumps.
3) Using a 2 Tbs scoop measure out a spoonful of the mixture and roll it into a ball. Line a baking sheet with foil and place meatballs on foil.
4) Once you have all the meatballs assembled, heat a large skillet with olive oil or cooking spray over medium-high heat.
5) Place meatballs (with room) into the pan and sear/brown each side. You do not want it cook through. Keep rotating the meatballs until you get all/most of the sides browned.
6) Place browned meatballs on clean foil or directly on baking sheet.
7) Cook for 15 minutes in oven, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
My favorite way to eat these is over a little marinara sauce. You could serve these as an appetizer at a party or of course over pasta!